Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Buttermilk Scones

I was reading The Black Oven, which led me to The Breadmaster Strikes which had a recipe for scones that is very similar to mine. Being ever so lazy, I throw all the dry powders (flour, soda, powder, etc) into a food processor with the butter and pulse a couple times to incorporate till crumbly. This recipe makes a slightly sweeter than normal scone, but being a sugar junkie, I don't seem to mind. I'm going to try their recipe anyways as variety is always welcome.

Buttermilk Scones

2 cups flour
.5 cups sugar
1.5 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp baking soda
6 Tbl butter
.5 cups buttermilk
1 egg
1.5 tsp vanilla
raisins (optional)

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Mix first four dry ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in wet ingredients (all remaining). Turn out onto lightly floured board or counter and knead 5 or 6 times. Pat out to circle of .75 inch thickness or so. Cut into desirable scone-like shapes (as if cutting a pie.) Place on ungreased baking sheet (I always tinfoil first for easy clean-up) and bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden brown.

No comments: