Thursday, March 11, 2010

Wood

Wood is the name we gave a bulgur wheat dish we like. We eat it hot for breakfast and I always make extra so we can have some later. Sometimes cold (and sometimes with a little greek yogurt.) Other times warmed up with a little frozen yogurt, or *gasp*, ice cream on top. I fool myself into thinking it is healthy because I don't have to add any sugar to make it taste good. I suppose that the juice and fruits add plenty of sugars, but it just seems so much healthier.

Wood

2 cups apple juice (I use the nice thick looking natural stuff)
1 cup bulgur wheat
1 crisp apple, (peeled or unpeeled) cored and chopped in chunks
about a .5 - 1 cup of raisins (your call)
.5 cup slivered almonds
1-2 tsp cinnamon

Bring juice, apple, raisins to boiling. Stir in bulgur and cinnamon and bring back to a boil. Stir in almonds, cover, and take off heat. Let sit for about 20-30 minutes. Taste and season with more cinnamon if necessary. (I'm kind of a cinnamon junkie so I always feel I need more.)

If you like you can experiment with adding other spices (nutmeg, ginger, etc) or using other fruit or nuts. The recipe is also easily doubled or more.

No comments: